Thursday 27 December 2007

I am the Best Man!

My best mate John is marrying Sian Tomorrow at a lovely hotel in Castle Donnington.
I am the best man, and frankly, I am very nervous about my speech.
I am used to speaking in public, and have no problem getting up in front of a crowd, but there is always loads of pressure on the best man, and it is the speech that everyone looks forward to most in the day, I hope I am up to it.

John was my best man 5 years ago, and if I am honest, the speech managed to offend half of the wedding party. My wife is a Catholic from Northern Ireland, and John did a power point presentation with loads of amusing photos on it, but for the background, he used a Union Flag, and an Irish Tri colour. due to the light in the room, you could only see the Union Jack, and not all of the wedding guests appreciated this. His speech was good, even though he was nervous.

I have written my speech, and am just in the process of putting it onto crib cards to make it easier to handle.
I just don't want to let anyone down by fluffing my lines or the jokes not being appreciated.
It is really hard, as there are loads of jokes I could tell, but only a few close friends in the room will know the frames of reference, so the humour will be lost on many of the guests.

The Internet is a wonderful thing, and cut an paste is even better.

Think of me about 4pm tomorrow when I stand up and try to make everyone laugh.

No comments: